View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 06:03 AM
Denny Crane
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Kickin’ Back

Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
Syd,

All of what you say is true but you know what - that stuff has been happening in aviation for 60 years and no previous generation of Pilots had the benefit of 5 additional years. What about the 78-79 UAL guys that turned 60 before the rule change - Oh well too bad for them.

I don't blame anyone for flying until 65 - I just might be one of them, but the way this rule was changed was pretty bad. What about the guys just about to upgrade - no worries it would still be there 5 years down the road and if times are tough in the future Im sure we can just raise the age again to 70.

Well, wouldn't the guys just about to upgrade be waiting even longer if guys were allowed to come back after implementation?

ALPA said they were against the change but decided it would be better to get on board with the change in order to have some input into the rule change. So what was their input? As far as I can tell - lets pick a random date and give some gives a 5 year windfall while others just miss it by months, weeks or even days?

I don't think it was a random date. I think it was the date the law became effective. I could be wrong.

Scoop
Scoop,

I don't disagree with what you say but what was the alternative (as far as what day to pick for implementation)? No matter what day was chosen, the same thing would have happened... Any way you slice it some were going to get that windfall.

Denny