View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 05:20 AM
tsquare
No longer cares

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: 767er Captain

Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Everything I could!!

I read the Delta web page, quarterly report, WFFF reports (not those from unsuccessful candidates), Aero for Naval Aviators, AIM, FARs, Lengel's "Everything Explained ..." Book, AFI 11-217 & 11-203, NTSB Rejected Takeoff analyses/report, Mental Math for Pilots, several Jet engine fundamental books, ATP test prep books, and all the trip reports from years past that I could get my hands on. I did all that while working my butt off as an active duty Squadron Commander then Deputy Ops Group Commander! ... I still thought I busted the knowledge test!!

I read the Cogscreen website and watched the examples. Very helpful!

Most successful candidates do some sort of prep. Whether it's Emerald Coast, Aero Crew Solutions, FAPA (Judy Tarver's team), etc...it's critical. I've heard great things about and know people who benefited from each of them. Interviewing well is an aquired skill...they teach you.

A friend and I gave each other 3 mock interviews, and we critiqued the hell out of ourselves. I recorded myself telling my stories and sample TMAAT or WWYD scenario responses in my iPhone as I drove to work. Didn't realize how lame I sounded at times and figured out ways to fix it. Another friend (who successfully interviewed the day before me) and I did mock interviews over the phone.

I picked my mentors' brains. They're sick of me.

What's funny is I never got a chance to do the polished story wrap ups I practiced because the panel always interrupted with follow up question or I forgot. Still, when the many unanticipated questions arose, I sifted through my mental Rolodex for solid responses.

Interview day was one of the most stressful things I've ever done...and I've done a lot! The hard work paid off in the end. A very professional United friend told me tonight to be very glad I'm going to Delta instead of UAL! The process is intended to be very difficult for a reason! Delta knows what it is looking for in it's pilots...it's more than just flying ability.

It was brutal watching the two guys in Tuesday's group go away empty handed. Great dudes, both. That final wait period after all is said and done is punishing.

Hope you get your shot!

Indy
Welcome aboard! We are really glad you are here.