Thread: Mesa
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 12:02 PM
RH1228
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: Property Manager

Originally Posted by Jason5 View Post
Not sure what my goals are. I guess I lean more toward 135/91, but a decent airline would also be fine such as JetBlue, or something international that pays great. Yes, I'd live where I work, which near "home" and the lifestyle would probably be a lot better. Still, all that jet time seems like it would open doors a lot faster, even if I have to endure the lifestyle for a while. Fortunately I'm single and can do what's necessary.
I am considering going to Mesa as well, been doing 135 turboprop freight for the last 2 years but its all SIC and I have no idea what the deal is with the upgrade. Flying 300-400 hrs per year. Based at home. I took the job feeling the same way you do now about career goals.

The trouble is I'm not sure how valuable the upgrade would even be, I mean it would be more $ but thats about it. 300-400 hrs a year isnt much and TPIC aint the golden nugget that it used to be.

The captains I fly with would kill to get on with JetBlue or any major for that matter, but with all of the RJ guys out there they are at a disadvantage. They are trying hard and getting no where fast and they have been flying left seat in big turboprops for 7+ years.

I'm just saying from a guy who gave the 135 side a shot, the way I see it now, in the current hiring environment, for career gigs, 121 or otherwise, I truly believe that going to Mesa will open more doors faster. Mainly because of the equipment, hours and ops.

I may be going myself and yes it will be a pay cut, QOL will go down too (well a schedule does sound nice rsv or otherwise as I am currently on call 24/7/364 and they do call at 2am with no warning). Looking in my crystal ball long term I believe it will be worth it. Ill come back and tell you in 10 years.