View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Tumbleweed
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: 7ER

Originally Posted by JetBlast77 View Post
FAA Releases Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Roadmap ? News Watch

I've posted this on some regional boards but I'm curious what you more "seasoned" guys think about this unmanmed aircraft stuff. I noticed this article in the latest ALPA fastread. I know they just did a test flight in the UK of an unmanned passanger aircraft that went flawlessly. I know this article isn't necessarily talking about pax aircraft, but do you guys think unmanned pax aircraft are closer than many think? Ive flown with a few guys who have been following this closely and many think we are less than 20 years away from this being a reality for pax flights. People might not go for it now, but in 15 years when most of our cars are driving us, I wonder if the public may feel differently.
If you're talking about that Jetstream the British did a test flight in I would hardly consider it pilotless. They used a pilot to perform the takeoff and landing THEN the flight was controlled from the ground. Well whoopdee doo! Those are the two most critical phases of flight. If they consider that pilotless than most flights today are already pilotless considering the whole flight plan is loaded into the FMS and most pilots (sadly) just turn on the autopilot shortly after takeoff and keep it coupled until just moments prior to landing. The technology is certainly out there and yes, it's scary to consider its implications but I don't think that Jetstream poses much of a threat.