Old 11-14-2013, 10:26 AM
kingairip
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011

Originally Posted by FlyingKat View Post
If you are going to quote me, get it right.
I didn't quote you. If I did you would have seen these " ". I paraphrased you. And I was accurate.

I think many who are tee heeing and slapping their backs over these mergers, will feel very different in 5 years or so when they are negotiating with a management team who knows the government will never allow a strike at an airline that is "too big to fail."
The government will never allow a legacy airline to strike anyway. And, it's been that way for years.

Yes I think in 5-10 years you will see more government intervention in the airline industry due to business practices of the big 3 airlines.
OK. We'll hold our breath for that. Of course, your history of prognostication is not the best. Here are a few for the record:

Upon reading the filing, it is hard to see where changes could be made to make it agreeable to DOJ. The changes necessary would likely make the merger not worth doing.
The DOJ filing is filled with references to United and Delta. It is also filled with references to traffic through hubs, not just point to point competition. If you read this document carefully, its easy to see the DOJ is interested in a lot more than just US Airways and American, and this filing is not just about the DCA slots.
No. The DOJ was interested in just US Airways and American.

Unfortunately this merger had to deal with the baggage created by United and Delta, and now that Justice has decided to act the odds are against this being approved. Of course anything is possible, but career Justice Department lawyers rarely file cases they don't expect to win and their batting average is pretty good.
Much of this one was just wrong, but the bolded part is laughable. The Justice Department's goal from the outset was to delay and obstruct. They had no intention of going to court with AA/US...and when they do go to court, their "batting average" is not good.

While the DOJ's actions this week are very unpopular in aviation and investment circles, it has been very popular with most consumer groups. Ultimately that is who the politicians will listen to when it comes to this.
No. The politicians were largely in favor of the merger. They listened to the thousands of employees and other interested parties that wanted the deal done. The average consumer couldn't have cared less if the merger happened or not. Despite the fact that:

I have worked in this industry for 17 years in one capacity or another, a good deal of it in customer service. I have never seen passengers as angry as they are right now.
Unfortunately for the employees of AA/US the DOJ rarely loses these cases.
I agree with you on the Administration but Republicans are on board with this as well. This is why this is likely going to stand in court. Outside of airline corporate suits the action by the DOJ is very popular. It is what it is.
And when government officials are getting pressure from unhappy consumers and local government officials, things start to happen. If you think this is just going to go away, you're mistaken. The only question is how far the DOJ is going to go with this, and whether they will go after previous mergers if this deal is blocked.
So wrong. But, that's fine, because we're all wrong at one point or another. It's one thing to just be wrong. The thing with you is...you came over to a thread that (according to you) didn't affect you one way or the other and stuck your finger in the eye of a bunch of good people who just got the rug pulled out from under them while they were trying to support their families. That's pretty small.