View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 05:02 AM
Skubajet
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2011

Originally Posted by strikeagledrivr View Post
You wise old airline guys dust off your crystal ball.....for us military folks new to the 121 airline gig what's your advice....

Now that the American/US Airways merger looks like a done deal....Assuming you get offers at both SWA and New American/US Airways which is better long term (say the next 20 yrs)?

SWA:
PROs: Good work rules, good pay.
CONs: very slow seniority movement (15 yr upgrades?) unless there is growth, single aircraft type.

New American:
PROs: Lots of retirements (10 yr upgrades?), largest airline, variety of flying.
CONs: merger thrash for the next couple years and work rules that need to improve at the next JCBA.

Work rules/pay/domiciles seem to change but pilot demographics (ie age/mandatory retirements) seem to be a constant with American/US Airways being very old and SWA being relatively young with fewer mandatory retirements.

I understand seniority is everything in the airlines. Does that tip the balance to New American?
I think unless you live in OAK or LAS, seems like AA would be best long term. Looking at the mou, the CA pay is higher per hour than SWA CA pay once you get up to 2018 and up for group 2. Also, mou states 16% into 401k - not bad. Plus I would think a new hire would stay on reserve longer at SWA since they would be behind all air tran. You mentioned work rules at Aa. The mou states 13 days off for a 31 day month for reserves and 12 days off for all other months. Should go into affect very soon. I'm fairly certain work rules will be same as dal or better for the new jcba.