View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 09:30 AM
John Carr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by ghilis101 View Post
This is true. SWA is a great airline with the best 737 pay in the industry. On pay alone the decision is difficult. I think what AA does offer is flexibility in that the fleet and type of flying varies significantly so you can pick and choose what works best for you as you age. Theres nothing "wrong" with the way SWA does things, but by very nature of the flying, its fast paced and requires a pilot that likes to be on the move. That go,go,go attitude is admirable, especially when Im sitting in the jumpseat However, some of us ask ourselves, do I want to do that when im 60? At that age many guys want to be in a widebody doing an easy leg to Europe or Asia, 30 something hours off, come back, and then not fly again for a week or more.

This in no way is about "size" of aircraft as it is about the style of flying.
I would agree with all that. But the more and more time I spend in a SW JS, they seem to be flying less legs than they traditionally did. And a DAL friend of mine showed me his domestic 757 rotation. 14 legs in 4 days, longest overnight is 13 hours. Not ALL the time, but good grief.

When I'm 60, do I wanna do that? Heeeeeeeeeck no. But at 60, I'm not sure I wanna be doing back side of the clock European 3 days either. OR 3.5-4 day orient trips. I KNOW, they pay well and give time off. But where I commuted from, there's A LOT of very senior/silverbacks that do that. They're in their mid to late 50's, they look like death warmed over commuting home with them.