View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 10:51 PM
RJSAviator76
Gets Weekend Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by Ekpt40 View Post
Globalisation is one of those issues that look good on paper,but tend to have some problems in real life.

In the constant drive to get everything cheap,we have put the hurt on US jobs. Now most of everything is made overseas. Cheap to buy,but the folks who get laid off may argue about the benies.
Good point, but...

Protection is needed. You do not have to say no to the foreign carrier or company,but you do have to level the playing field. Example-- all pilots and fa s flying into the USA or over,must comply with FAA Rest and flight time rules if the rules are more lax in that country.
CAP 371 is the basis for flight time/duty time limits at UAE-based airlines… not sure about QR. I think it's generally superior to FAA rest rules. Which one do you follow, and how do you pick and choose if the foreign rules are perhaps superior than the FAA ones?

I would like all airlines to pay the same for the ramper and other jobs,since the guy working on the ramp in the ME or China makes a small fraction of what the American gets.
Rightfully so. Why on earth can a ramper in the US make up to $40-50k a year throwing bags? It's insane! Nothing against rampers, but this is an unskilled, menial labor position. Want to fix an injustice? Why on earth do we have regional airline pilots (skilled technical position) starting at $20k a year, on par with rampers?

So level the field.Until then we cannot let it go to purely market driven economics.
Leveling the field… I love it. Some interesting reading here:

HowStuffWorks "How Communism Works"