View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 08:30 AM
MaxPowers
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

You caught the leading edge of a wave with contacts improving and a very real opportunity to advance your career. You are considering giving that up to go chase the very best place to be hired in 1994. I think you are overlooking the fact many scoffed at SWA in 94, just as you are scoffing US Air/AA in 2014. The simple fact is if you stay at AA, you may be stuck at the bottom for a while. You probably won't. If you go to SWA, you will be stuck at the bottom, and it will be decades before you see significant advancement. At US Air, you will have a choice in the type of flying you do. At SWA, your choice is AMs or PMs. Got a Vegas buddy there for 7 -8 years...holds a line and flys Sun-Tues most weeks. Works for him, but a little variety--especially when facing working for another 15-22 years--goes a long way.

Albie, as a 13 year AAI guy, soon to be a 10-yr SWA guy, I couldn't agree more. I'm considering trading my "10 years" at SWA for the bottom of DAL, AMR or UCAL myself, for the same reasons you listed above. Thankfully, I'm financially secure and don't have to chase the money anymore.