View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 06:10 PM
GearBoy
missionary

Joined APC: Jun 2013
Position: Right seat 787 or missionary
Default Go for QoL

After 12 years sitting in the right seat, the only upgrade in sight is commuting to reserve to a far away base. After 12 years I still can't hold a decent line. I can't get a trip trade. I'll be working yet another Thanksgiving and Christmas. Forget about a summer vacation.

That being said, I second what has been said, it's all about the QoL. For me, that means live in base and pick the carrier that is going to give you the better QoL more quickly. As far as pay, what you make is not the hourly wage but what's shown on your W-2 at the end of the year. So, rigs and work rules are huge. That's what I lack now. I'd kill for the trips touching that Southwest still enjoys. AM PM lines? I'd prefer it. Higher credit for training and vacation would be nice too. While you're at it, the more sick days earned per month, the better. All of the above mean more days at home for the same money.

Choice is important. The more choices the better. Also, the more often you get to choose is huge. So, the more often the bids the better. AA gives you that choice to lateral over to larger equipment at a higher wage, which represents another choice. If I were at United now, I'd be in HOU on the 777 or on the 787 earning an override. At SWA, I'd be in the left seat already.

I second the non-rev privileges being an issue, especially with a family. I've had to pay for many an ID-90 for the wife and kids to go on vacation without me because my carrier doesn't go beyond Canada or Mexico. The without me is because I can't hold summer vacation, not only because of seniority, but, because my carrier eliminated most of our summer vacations as a staffing decision.

As far as international vs domestic, they're all just days away from home, just another day in someplace that isn't home. So, wherever I can get more days home sooner, that's my first choice. Again, work rules and rigs dictate how many days I have to work to make enough money. I wish that I had better.

R U going to do any military reserve If yes, hopefully you won't be commuting to a reserve job. If you can live and drill in base, that's obviously a plus. You can parley that mil leave into more money and time at home.

I spent 7 of the last 12 years on reserve, four of them commuting to reserve after being displaced off of my jet and out of base. Commuting to reserve for 4 years almost killed my marriage.

You mention little kids. It's a cliché; but, if mama's not happy, no one's happy. Ask your wife. She's the one that's going to be the single parent.

Last edited by GearBoy; 11-18-2013 at 06:48 PM.