View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 05:04 AM
John Carr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by JoeyMeatballs View Post
Everyone seems to know what's best for everyone else, lol. Variety of intl flying will eventually become just as mundane as the domestic stuff. How many times can you wander around Rome by yourself? Even if it was twice a month, I would personally want to blow my brains out flying an 8 hr leg. (It's just me,I know everyone is different).

There are hundreds of reasons why I think the New AA would be a good place to work, but variety of flying to me really wouldn't be one of them. An airplane is an airplane and a city is a city. Retirement, growth, retirements, bases you can drive to, company culture etc are decent reasons but after a while I'm sure the flying all becomes the same. Of course if you fly less and make more on the WB......have at it

(Like someone posted, I have never done that type of flying so I'm not speaking from experience, just thinking out loud).

Like I said earlier, go to the place that will allow you to have a batter QOL outside of work, that's more important IMO
I would agree. And the numbers DON'T lie. We're going to see the most insane movement as far as seniority progression that hasn't been seen in OVER 12 years here shortly. Barring catastrophic terror/economic collapse, etc.

So for all the bragadochios lamenting about how awesome it is to be senior on the WB, hardly working, collecting the big pay check. The reality IS, they WEREN'T born in that seat/seniority. Depending on the carrier, they had to suck being junior at some point. And possibly junior for a LONG time, on a B-scale, etc. They may have suffered multiple displacements before they even got there. They may have been into their late 40's/early 50's before they even saw it. Take a look at the BOTTOM line holders at UAL, AA, and USAir doing the WB/int'l. THEN take a look at their hire dates. At UAL, prior to 9/11 a new guy could hold WB pretty quick, AFTER 9/11, if he STILL had a job, he's bottom gear slinger reserve on the NB under a concession, pressed to min days off, max flying, and possibly commuting etc. Meanwhile that "dumb guy" that went to SW is moving up every month, collecting MORE and MORE money every month, watching his QOL/days off increase every month.

Just circling back to the point. What it looks like now may NOT be for certain.