View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 01:34 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by Gilbola View Post

... is this something good for the community and will it increase engagement?

And my question is this. How can someone who is not part of a community presume to know what is good for that community? What are your pilot credentials?

I didn't intend to engage beyond my first comment, but your response reeks of disingenuity, dishonesty, insincerity, or hypocrisy -- I'm not sure which, but none are good.

... if you're not happy with our product and the way we run things then we're not doing a good job of running a business.

Every product and business decision we make boils down to this question: is this something good for the community and will it increase engagement?

So let's just skip the big words and say, that's not true.

Tapatalk is something that "is good for the community and it will increase engagement."

When a participant at the other Pro Pilot forum approached the Administrator with the idea of installing the Tapatalk plugin so users could use the app, it was installed the very same day. That Forum runs on the latest version of vBulletin and the latest version of Tapatalk, and the result is more people have more access to the Forums, and there's no thread where people complain about the limited or broken features of a home-built smartphone app.

Same thing happened with ForumRunner. User asks, Administrator responds. (Bonus: Starting with vBulletin 4.1.12, ForumRunner is built in.)

The thing is, the decision to not use Tapatalk here has nothing to do with what "is good for the community and will increase engagement." It has to do with the fact that Internet Brands now OWNS ForumRunner, so it would be a conflict of BUSINESS interest to run a competing app on an Internet Brands Forum.

The first sentence of the first post of this thread exclaims, "Whatever the reason for not using tap talk it's not good enough." You've conveniently failed to address that issue, and instead made excuses for why the current app falls short. That's a dollars and cents decision that makes NO common sense, and it has nothing to do with what "is good for the community and it will increase engagement."

That's just the truth.

Finally, and I'll hush.

I do anticipate though that many of you will say that we are fixing something that isn't broken and grumble about a myriad of annoyances that the change has brought.

If you were a part of the community, or knew anything about it, you would know that pilots always complain. It's part of our DNA. If pilots grumbling will keep you from making improvements, there will never be any.

Upgrade vBulletin, install Tapatalk, pilots will whine, and then they'll be happy again.

Or not.