View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 02:22 PM
jonnyjetprop
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

The run you are referring to is a contract that was signed before UPS bought Menlo and was only extended due to your inability to handle the sudden increase from UPS purchase of Menlo.

As to it being struck goods, it is only struck goods if Centurian is flying sub-service for World. It would not be struck goods, if they are flying for Menlo. Is World profiting from this trip?

I wanted to add something from those out there that may not know the history of this flight. Flt 174/173 is primarily a military cargo flight. I know that the first 85,000 or so pounds of cargo going to Brussels is dedicated to the US military. The extra is Menlo cargo. On the way back, its DHL cargo. As part of this contract with the military is that hazmat must be accomadated. When Menlo was Emery, Emery and World Airways were on the same AMC "team". When the FAA pulled Emery's permission to carry hazmat, Emery turned to World to keep the contract. We had been covering the run for some time with a MD-11. Menlo and UPS changed the plane to a DC-10, in no small part to reduce the backhaul DHL cargo. I can't say for sure who's contract it is anyway, since Menlo can now carry hazmat. I don't know if UPS can carry hazmat on aircraft yet. Maybe someone from UPS can chime in on that.

Originally Posted by Browntail
What are you world pilots going to do if UPS would allow us to fly OUR own flight 174 from DAY to BRU carrying OUR freight volume? How can you, a contractor, consider flights that you fly as a contractor struck work? You shouldn't be flying that trip in the first place, but that's an entirely different issue altogether.

Last edited by jonnyjetprop; 01-30-2006 at 04:15 PM.