View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 AM
APC225
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by pilot64golfer View Post
I've never understood why we do this? I've seen passengers walk up almost 10 minutes prior to the scheduled arrival time, and the gate is closed and they are standing there incredulously. The CSR is telling them, sorry but we had to make an "on-time" departure. Now we've ****ed off a bunch of people, incurred more cost for the airline, and created a bad image for ourselves, but hey, the CSR has 10 minutes more to go on break before her next flight so she's happy....
I suspect it has something to do with the "targets" that are set up for exec bonuses. The execs may be more incentivized for making ontime than for preventing misconnects. They certainly seem to be when I'm working.

United more than triples CEO Smisek's pay

(Crain's) — CEO Jeff Smisek saw his compensation soar to $14.7 million last year from $4.4 million in 2010 as United Continental Holdings Inc. completed its first full year as a merged airline.

Most of Mr. Smisek's compensation increase came from a restricted stock grant valued at $7.5 million that will vest over three years, according to the company's proxy statement

About $4 million of that restricted stock requires that the airline meet certain goals related to the merger, such as reaching joint labor contracts with unions and achieving revenue and cost-savings targets.

He also received $4.4 million in long-term cash incentive compensation largely based on performance of Continental Airlines prior to the merger with United. His salary was $975,000. The total compensation also includes an estimated increase in pension value during the year of $1.4 million.

In awarding Mr. Smisek's compensation, the company's compensation committee cited performance including $1.3 billion in pre-tax income and achieving approximately $400 million of the $1.2 billion in annual revenue and cost savings targeted by 2013.