Old 11-22-2013, 11:07 AM
satpak77
Working weekends

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Left Seat

as long as humans will be humans, human error will continue. This is why I never understood the training mindset that a pilot should be able to dissect a fuel pump and discuss it on powerpoint. Who cares. It works or it does not. How do I handle the failure is the question. Or memorize the tail height of my airplane. When I decide to mail it, then I will learn it.

That is not what is killing pilots or getting pilots into trouble, even today, 2013. Basic 101 is. The same stuff that did it in 1950 is doing it today.

Stall/spin (typically on final)

VMC into IMC

CFIT

ATC error not double verified by Pilot

Pilot error/read-back not double verified by ATC

Fatigue induced stuff

IFR Approach not flown according to plate specs

Spatial Disorientation

Fuel exhaustion (not sure when this will ever be completed solved, we have Proline 21, G-1000, etc gee whiz technology, that can fly an entire holding pattern on auto pilot, but this has not been solved yet. This "concept" is not new, engines have needed fuel since the Model-T Ford was invented)

Lined up on wrong runway (takeoff or landing phase)

Landing fast/long

Bungled missed approach/go-around

CRM issues

operating a mechanically unairworthy/unsafe airplane when you should know better

penetrating severe weather/conditions when you probably had an alternate choice and should have known better

final category: All of the above

almost all incidents/accidents involving professional crews (corporate, military, airline) fall into the above categories. Well, probably ALL aviation accidents.