Old 11-22-2013, 01:18 PM
OrionFE
Old P-3 IFE

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: B744 FO

Originally Posted by MaydayMark View Post
I'm really surprised that the consensus seems to be "Could happen to anyone" attitude. I'm not sure a private pilot in his Cessna could explain landing at the wrong airport? They make comedy movies with scenes like this!

And - it might not have been in his FMS Data Base? Doesn't the "DreamLifter" fly there routinely? How could it not be in the data base?

Does that mean that all the analog airplanes we've collectively ever flow (early model 747's, 737's, 727's, DC-10's, DC-9's) couldn't land at the "right" airport.

You guys are screwing with me ... right?
We are all human and human errors will continue to happen! Even with all the fancy equipment and the best training, etc..... human error is still going to happen. Airplanes still turn onto the wrong taxiway, get lost on the airport, and yes, land at the wrong airport. I seem to remember a C17 last year landing at the wrong airport. What is amazing, is how much pilots eat their own! I dont recall reading about that in "Fate is the Hunter"! State of the art airplane, two maybe three pilots upfront, ATC, etc... it happened! Learn from it, but don't sit back and judge the crew...they are one of us! And it will happen again!