View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 03:13 PM
RedeyeAV8r
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by Browntail
What's ludicrous is that 8% was your OPENER! What will you actually get, 4%? Rumor has it that Webb has contacted our EB and said that they are close to getting a deal done with Fred. I honestly hope you guys get a great contract but with your low opener on pay you didn't leave much room for movement to get what you want in other areas. I hope you guys are more unified than last time when Fred threatened to shut the place down and you guys caved.
I agree 100%..........well 98%

This is my opinion on what has transpired...........................
First I too hope we are more Unifed than lasty time..........
Actually I know we are..........but I hope guys are willing to the mat.

This group was polled, polled and polled and then polled again on what they wanted in the contract.

The deal has to appeal to everyone not just the Senior folks.
Each section has more emphasis depending on how old a pilot is, how senior a pilot is and whether you are commute or don't...........

FedEx managment historically.and apparetnly presently doesn't really negotiate. The offer their proposal and say thats it! Then it has historically been our guys taking the overall cost and deciding where to split the pie...............

We got hammered last time for several reasons.
1. We wern't unified.that is a no brainner.
2. Our in house Union lacked sufficient resources
-- A good PR firm
-- The ability to accurately cost out a proposal
-- We had Lots of Kool iad drinkers.
3. WE had NO Contract!! ( i.e no protections)a Big hurdle to overcome

This time we have a current contract
We are much more unified ( How much remains to be seen)
We have ALPA. Meaning we have the best R&I Guys.
---------meaning we now can accurately cost out our proposals and the company has found they can't argue our numbers (unlike last time)

I believe our (the MEC's) strategy is..................................
To make a proposal so reasonable that the cmpany Can't say
"It's too expensive"............although that is exactly what they are saying.

The strategy (I think) is that this group will be much more willing to go to the MAT if the company balks at such an extremely reasonable and verifiable proposal (i.e. bargain).

Yes Brown Tail I too wish we had asked for much more...........but if we go to the MAT our demands could and hopefully will change.

Cheers Redeye