View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 08:29 AM
JD832
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: Jungle Jet

Airlines are doing it all wrong with this whole college degree thing. A college degree does not make you a better pilot. I've flown with a lot of pilots with and without degrees. Some were great pilots and others were terrible pilots, but it had nothing to do with the degree. Some of the best ones had no degree. If airlines want to filter out the bad and hire the good, give a technical test as a part of the application process and I bet you a lot of the pilots with and without 4 year degrees will fail. It will filter out the pilots that lack the require knowledge to perform the job effectively. Looks at Emirates and a lot of the other foreign carries. They don't care about that stuff. I know so many pilots flying heavies overseas around the world with no college degree. If you can make it through the tough interviews that consist of a sim evaluation, compass testing, and so on, that should determine if you're trainable.

A college degree is nothing but life long debt making it hard for regional airline first officers to provide for their families. It's a money making scam.