View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Flyboyxc91
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: Captain CL-65

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
I disagree with the bolded above.
Instructos that have just earned their certificates are definitely NOT at the top of their games.
Actual instruction will eventually get you there.
I doubt that you would agree that a 16 year old who has just received his driver's license would be at the top of their driving game and you would want to take instruction from them.
Personally I like instructors who have some 'real world' experience. but that is my personal views and I know that often the aviation ladder of progression doesn't always allow for that order.

As far as your timeline for the ANG/Reserve slot, no one is saying that the civilian career has to take a back seat to your military application process - they could run together.
USMCFLYR, thanks for the input buddy, I am obviously still very inexperienced and aching to learn all I can! In reference to your statement you are correct. I may have been a little bold the way I worded my original post which you have referred. I do believe that my statement holds weight however in the fact that most new rated pilots have a good degree of proficiency especially related to others such as regular PPLs but I guess it may not be as true comparing that relationship to commercial type flying! Maybe that's a better way to see it.

At any rate, I have been thinking of the ANG/Reserve slots but I do not know much about the process to get a pilot slot etc. I am assuming maybe similar to the lines of USAF OTS and then UPT?.. I would like to fly airlines so in that situation I would fly my airline job and fly reserve when I was needed correct? I hear your airline makes sure that you get that time without penalty..?