View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 03:00 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Yeah, you're right, the Civilian IP has probably has flown in a snow storm or two, and landed on icy and snow covered runways, and had to figure out what he was doing, with no adult supervision, whereas the guy with 200 hours in PNS...not so much.

I remember reading this in my Air Force Instrument handbook:

"There is no peace time mission which requires flight through adverse weather conditions"

I used to tell them, "Geeze, I hope when the next war breaks out the weather is really good, because most of you guys have never seen a snowflake!"

Signed, a Civilian guy who then went through Air Force UPT in Del Rio. We saw a foggy day, once, but nobody could fly in it!
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this point Timbo.
I'm not a fan of the FAIP/SERGRAD programs either though I know excellent pilots from each, but I don't see how you can possibly compare the 90 ATP wonder zero-to-hero program.
Guess AF training might be a little different, but by the time I could have been a SERGRAD/CFI - I'll put my basic instrument skills. advanced instrument skills, precision landings, formation flying, aerobatics, and advance maneuvering skill set (to include strike, BFM and carrier qualification) against the 250 hr newly minted CFI with a 90 day fast-track program behind him.

Signed, a civilian guy first who when through a similar training track as you, but I didn't go through Del Rio I'll give you that.