Thread: Part 141 or 61?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 05:58 PM
De La Ghetto
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Default Part 141 or 61?

Hello gentlemen,

I seek advice from those that have come before me. I'm currently a student pilot finishing up my private at a part 141 flight school. I've been flying for one year and have accrued 70 hours of flight time and I still don't have my license. I do not have my license mainly because of scheduling...# of planes vs. volume of students in the program and weather (I live in NJ), etc. I don't have much money, but I pay $130wet/h for a Cessna 152 and $145wet/h for a 172M. Anyways, there is another flight school even closer to my home that has a fantastic fleet of newer aircraft with cheaper rates (for example, $80wet/h for a Cessna 152) however, it is a part 61 school.

I'm currently studying aviation, and if I finish the part 141 program I can get hired with the restricted ATP at 1250 oppose to 1500hours(if I were to pursue the part 61 route.) I feel that I would save more money by going part 61... but then again I would get my commercial at 250 hours oppose to 190. From my knowledge however, I know most student in the part 141 program I attend finish at 200-230 hours. Do you guys think its worth going part 61? I'm thinking of the possibility of finishing up my private and starting instrument training as part 61 right afterwards. I am not sure if this is the wisest decision.

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated!