Thread: TSP investors
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 11:12 AM
block30
Bracing for Fallacies

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: In favor of good things, not in favor of bad things

Originally Posted by satpak77 View Post
just curious, how much education does military provide their members regarding TSP and fund options, etc ?
All I can speak for is my own perspective as a current traditional guardsman, but I would say very little. When I'm called up on Active Duty orders I know Armed Forces Network plays their own version of commercials for TV and radio. Basically AFN commercials are SUPER corny and politically correct versions of what you see and hear on civilian networks...just a little a little teaser to get you thinking. And thinking about TSP I certainly had been, and it was on my short list of things to get into. This thread made me realize just how good TSP is, and I am switching away from American Funds and moving towards TSP in addition to my employer matched Roth 401k.

In short, I think the military could/should do MUCH better reaching out about TSP. Again, just my opinion. I'm just a worker bee, not a spokesperson for any branch or subdivision of the military.

EDIT...I had posted a few months ago asking about National Guard retirement because I honestly only knew what I could find on the internet. I went to the retention office on my base to get the information straight from the horses mouth so to speak. All I was told was look on the internet, and your benefits kick in when you turn 60. The same person handed me some sheets to sign up for TSP because "its a good deal." Gee thanks. So yeah, I had to seek out the information (not the end of the world) but not much information was forth coming. I preferred to get something "official" from my base versus just tooling around the internet, but the forums have turned out to be a great source of guidance on many subjects. Before people attack me for using the forums to make decisions; I think the forums are just a part of using all available resources, and there are some really great people out there once you weed through all the damn trolls!