View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 01:35 PM
johnso29

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: B757/767

Originally Posted by BTDT View Post

I have acquired a rather keen street sense in my current career and noticed how shocked she was when I mentioned the fact she would most likely be on call 24/7 while starting as a right seat pilot for the regionals. She openly told me she never heard that before. Has that aspect changed since I've been in the know? Are those students that isolated while being around those supposedly in the know? In any case this person seemed totally naive about the realities of aviation which may or may not work in her favor. Again she appeared derated in the fact she needed to instruct after having jet sim time along with actual Phenom time in which they switched seats during the flight in order to get everyone their chance.

As I have said I do not know much about the industry anymore and did not even think about it for 18 years. I went to OSH in 09, seen the plane I always wanted to build (Bearhawk 4 place) and bought a rib and spar package. Three months later I threw a blood clot to the kidney and have had a special issuance ever since. I will probably sell those parts because I no longer care to play the medical game. It has not effected my life in any way or earning potential other than aviation. There is so much more of life to me anyway than the hobo life of a pilot.

Good luck to all who choose to fly and be safe. Don't let anyone pressure you into things you know are not right.

Yes. That's incorrect. Part 121 pilots don't sit call 24 hours a day. Unless they're sitting long call reserve, which is typically a 12 hour min notification window. And some can do that from home while out of base. At some point, you have to have rest before you operate a 121 flight.

I'm sorry to hear about your medical issues. But being an airline pilot doesn't always mean one lives like a hobo. I typically have 15-17 days off a month, and if I sit reserve I can generally spend over 20 days month at home. And I commute.