View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Originally Posted by Packrat View Post
They are not enforceable...
Why not? If you signed it and it is a legally well-written contract, and most of them are written by company lawyers mind you, it is at the very least enforceable to the extent that defense will be expensive and if it is a well written, solid contract- and it is not that hard to write one- then you are going to lose no matter what lawyer you get. It is total folly to sign any pilot training contract period, end stop. Never do this.

Money buys justice, and legal defense is not a battle the average pilot can afford. If you break your training contract or get fired, even if it is a weak one, and if the company then sues you, the first thing that will happen is you have to retain a defense lawyer to represent you in county court and that counsel will say sure, send me $3000 to get me started, sure we will win. That will happen again about three times before a hearing date is determined, and $20,000 later you may win the case, but you will have shelled out $25,000 before you even get to go before the judge hoping the judge sees your side. There is also a (likely) possibility he or she will decide only partially in your favor, if at all, in which case you get maybe a few grand awarded for all your money to the lawyer. The chances of actually winning back all your costs are slim and you will NEVER get back your frustration and lost time.

Don't do it, never sign a pilot training contract. It is too weak a legal position to put yourself in. If by some human weakness you do sign one, at least have it read to you by a contract lawyer who can explain how hard it is going to be to defend against a breach of contract claim before signing. If you do that, I guarantee you will not sign it.

Last edited by Cubdriver; 12-07-2013 at 07:29 PM.