View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 03:07 PM
FlyingOkra
Banned

Joined APC: Aug 2012
Position: B-767 FO

Originally Posted by AlaskaBound View Post
I think guys looking to get hired now have the upper hand. It's not a market where the pilots have to "settle". Everyone's hiring and to settle for Endeavor (a shrinking airline who is downgrading captains at the moment) is a huge mistake. Why settle for a measly paycheck that won't last long. Taking a job at Endeavor is like taking a temp job over a full time position at a different company. There's no need, in this market, to start training, flying, and getting some income and a little experience just to put it on their resume. Plus, that's not usually enough to get a job at a major in this environment. 7 year FO's with lots of experience who've never had the opportunity to upgrade are vying for those major airline vacancies...not to mention all of the Captains who have been waiting patiently. I think your mentality is out-dated and out of touch with reality.
I don't think it's out dated at all. I don't think you understood what I said. Everyone's situation is unique and different.

I said Some people and I'm not talking about the masses. I'd never be so ignorant to lump everybody into one size fits all. Nobody has to settle for anything, but there will be some that prefer Endeavor for personal reasons. Some pilots don't have the flexibility to move to certain cities, states, or regions and may prefer the Endeavor domiciles. For whatever reason family, home, friends, or some other personal commitments. They may prefer to live in domicile and not commute. Some may have references that will allow them to get on at Endeavor quicker than other Regionals.

I've run into a handful of military pilots at job fairs that have retired from the service and have been unsuccessful in finding employment thus far at the upper level of the industry. These guys are getting tired of sitting around the house, updating their resumes and applications on a daily basis in their underwear. These guys would love to get back to flying anything and would prefer Regional A, B, or C because it's in their backyard. They also feel that a little 121 time might help them get that next job.

Same goes for the numerous guys that are furloughed from places like World Airways, Evergreen, etc. This industry is very unforgiving when it comes to Recency of Experience. Plus, these guys are probably running through their savings or retirement pretty quickly. A little bit of income would help stop the bleeding.

Or those poor Flight Instructors that have been trying to get a job.

This industry is a many headed monster. There are people from all walks of life. These individuals may only come to Endeavor for a short period of time knowing full and well that they'll jump ship when the more preferred Regional, ULCC, LCC, or Major comes calling. But in the mean time they will have stayed current, gained experience, decreased any time frame of unemployment, stopped bleeding their savings, and possibly stayed closer to home.

Endeavor may not be the top choice. It may not be in the top ten choices. But it'll be somebody's choice. And only they can determine if it's their best choice.

Best of Luck to everybody!