Thread: Mesa
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 PM
skillett
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2010
Position: South Paw

Originally Posted by prior121 View Post
Sulk, I'm sorry I have rubbed you the wrong way but "I" set myself up for this. This is not luck on my part, this was all planned.

I came to Mesa in the spring after doing a lot of research. I knew that Mesa would be hiring well into the foreseeable future therefore I would quickly move up the FO seniorirty list at a JR base. I knew the 170's were coming before I stepped foot onto Mesa property.

I moved to base so I wouldn't have to commute. I bid reserve so I get the days off I ask for.

I didn't come to mesa as a shot in the dark. I took the right steps so that 8 months ago I knew I would have a good QOL. I will not upgrade to the first available. I will decide on a base that I can comfortably move to, etc.

Sometimes I don't pity these guys complaining. Ok, so your purchased a house in rural Colorado and now your b*tching about commuting to CLT for reserve. These are choices YOU made, no one else. I understand bases close left and right in the regional world. That is why I have no plans of purchasing a house until I get (if i get to ) to a stable mainline carrier. And when I do it will be in a base that most likely won't close. IAD, ORD, DFW, NYC area, etc.

You really need to plan for this career if you want to do it comfortably.
We have 15 year Captains commuting to CLT from PHX. They have kids and a family, they just can't pick up and move. Try and sell your house in this market for what you paid for it. "Stable mainline job" Ask the folks in PIT/Airways, SFO/American, LAS/Airways, MEM/Delta and many others. Your being a rookie, this business is constantly changing. I think being a little more sympathetic to others situation would be appreciated.