Thread: Mesa
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 09:30 AM
skillett
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2010
Position: South Paw

Originally Posted by prior121 View Post
Giving sympathy to people that are "having it rough" because they've had a base closure or been displaced shows you didn't even read my original post.

If I buy a house in CLT, and two years from now CLT closes and I get displaced, that's MY damn fault. Not the companies. This is a regional airline, bases open and close, it's the nature of the beast.

I maybe "newer" here but I am not new to this industry, or especially the business world, or even new to thinking for that matter.

I question anyone who makes a home purchase in a regional airline base without understanding two years from now that sure as hell may not be their base.

This job requires either a lot of moving or a lot of commuting, especially at the regional level, I'm dumbfounded at those who are surprised or angry about that. Especially after being here 15+ years.
Not everyone had that "opportunity" to go to mainline. They will retire at their regional. So your saying, they should never buy a house and have kids until they retire? I know this is a tough business especially at the regional level. You have to be prepared for change. Even "you", sitting cozy at that mainline job. Be prepared for bankruptcy and furloughs. And I wouldn't want to be in a high mortgage owning in IAD or NYC. None of us knows the future, this biz is timing and luck. Just saying, it could happen to any of us.