View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Deuce130
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 777 FO

Another thing to consider is where your AFRC unit is located. Your choices are to either live in your airline domicile or your Reserve location. Anyone I've ever met who has commuted to both jobs has been either miserable or has quit the Reserves. It's a good idea to plan your training to maximize your time at home and your pay. First year pay at the airlines is miserable, so like Lil J said, I'd recommend getting your airline gig first then go with the Reserve training. Keep in mind you can also make around 15-25K a year just bumming at a Reserve unit as an 0-4. I hear you loud and clear about the retirement benefits at age 60. It's a lot of work and time to go through without any tangible reward until 25 years down the line. I'd recommend sticking with the reserves until it becomes unbearable or unmanageable. You can at least say you gave it a shot and it just didn't work out. It will also give you some amazing flexibility your first year at the airlines with regard to pay and time off. A last bit of advice, revisit my first sentence. Double commuting is doomed to fail. Unless you're single, then you've got a few more options.