Old 12-30-2013, 07:55 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by JamesAA View Post

(1) My age. I'm 40.
Not normally a problem if you have financial means to cover the lean times in entry-level aviation and already have the retirement that airlines probably won't provide.

(2) In 2001, I was arrested for the first, and only, time in my life. It was a misdemeanor--giving alcohol to a minor. I haven't had ANY run ins with the law ever since. Haven't even had a traffic ticket in 16 years.
This may be a deal-breaker depending on circumstances and whether you were convicted. If there was a conviction, it will have to be reported to FAA when you get your medical, but they will probably let slide a one-time thing.

But unfortunately airlines are a LOT more tolerant of "youthful indiscretions" which occurred before about age 25 than criminal issues involving a mature adult. In the case of an older adult, they will assume that you are too old to change or have "issues".

(3) In 2007 I was put on a 72 hour hold for a "5150" code. I actually was NOT suicidal at all and I've never attempted to take my life nor have I ever wanted to. But in California if they so much as suspect it, they don't take any chances and put you on a minimum 72 hour hold. When the triage nurse asked, "have you had any thoughts about hurting yourself," I STUPIDLY answered, "perhaps," ignorant of the 72 hour lockdown law and the consequences that would ensue. Oops. A costly & boneheaded lesson.
This would definitely have to be reported to the FAA aeromedical assuming there was any medical intervention (sounds like there was). This will require at the very least some extensive (and expensive) professional evaluation. They are very leery of allowing anyone with possible suicidal thoughts to fly an airplane, so this could be a long row to hoe just to get an FAA medical...even a 3C, and you'll need a 1C to fly for the airlines.

(4) I've had some phobia issues which began in 2009. I have been to shrinks to discuss it. They've prescribed anti anxiety meds to me. I took them for a brief period of time in early 2012 but took myself off of them, and have beat my phobias through simply forcing myself to do things I didn't want to do. Eventually, you get used to it and it's not as difficult. I read that that is the best if not only way to truly defeat phobias, and that meds were just a band-aid. Plus, I did NOT want to rely on or be on meds for the rest of my life. That's not me.
They actually lightened up on the rules regarding some meds for depression/anxiety and you can actually fly with meds under very specific conditions. If you're off meds and doing fine, it would normally be pretty easy to get a medical with a letter from your doc and possibly a referral evaluation. Unfortunately, this all ties together with the suicidal issue.

Looking back at these things I sound like a MESS lol. I promise you I am not. These are my life hiccups, if you will. I've never smoked pot, done drugs, don't have a drinking problem, don't smoke, and I'm on zero medication of any type. I'm a very happy and driven person.
This will help you to succeed and enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Another positive is that fewer and fewer airlines are asking a lot of details about your medical history or giving medical exams, so if you can get the FAA to give you an unrestricted medical many airlines would be good with that.

The challenge for airlines would be the misdemeanor, and it may depend on whether there was a conviction.

In the past many airlines have asked not just about convictions but also arrests. This may vary by state law, so it's hard to say who does and who doesn't. The related problem is if they ask about arrests you may have to tell them about the 5150 thing which would raise eyebrows to say the least. Be aware that normal employment law rules don't seem to apply fully and consistently to airlines...they have access to FBI records which includes some arrests as well as convictions.

Those are the issues, as others have said you can probably find employment outside of airlines and possibly with a regional if you get all your ducks in a row.

First thing would be to get a a 1C medical...I would suggest that you DON'T go directly to an FAA AME but rather spend the money on an aviation medical consultant to help walk you through the process. You may need to talk to an aviation attorney as to what you need to disclose to the FAA...don't guess wrong on that, they will send you to jail for lying on the 8500 form.

Once you get a 1C, then you can evaluate where to go from there. If for some reason they only give you a 2C, there are still jobs available to you but a 1C is preferred. A 2C immediately tells an employer there are issues of some sort, leaving him guessing what they might be.