View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 07:03 PM
gojo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2010

Originally Posted by mooney View Post
Really? There is no training in checking events? Only for type rides/certificates. What's that big TTP column on a PC? there is no "script" for an oral or a PC. Whatever you need to do to get 2 precision, 2 non precision and a v1 cut. There is no "script" for an oral. The company/FED finds the check airman's way of doing it fair and competent, he gets signed off. We may be "checking" but we are also instructors, if the guys I touch don't learn something from me every time, I'm not doing my job. I have yet to have anyone in 3 years ***** about my orals or ride, or complain that it was unfair. 99% of them say "hey that was cool I really didn't know that I learned some stuff today!" That's better than going home with just sweaty palms and a bunch of "sats" in a column. And I'm not gonna change it.
This is the attitude that made Pinnacle's training department the laughing stock of the industry. There were, and in some cases still are no standardization between instructors. Years ago I remember hearing a couple instructors boasting that Pinnacle probably had the highest fail rate in the industry like it was a good thing. To me that points to problems in the training department, the HR. department or both that need to be addressed. I've learned something from every oral and sim event that I've had without fear and intimidation tactics.