View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 10:22 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by SempreInVolare View Post
1. When does it become worthwhile/feasible/legitimate to just work on ratings full-time, and get them done very quickly? I’ve been doing my job during the week and flying on Saturdays, but progress is frustratingly slow, especially now that its winter here in the northeast. I tend to be of the opinion that flying is like exercise: you need to do it routinely in order to maintain fitness, let alone get better. I would ideally like to just get the ratings done and start instructing or building time in any way possible, but I’m not sure when this actually becomes a viable option. Any advice in this area? I'm speaking mostly from the standpoint of employment opportunities once all the ratings, etc. are complete.
If possible, keep your day job and devote essentially all of your free time to training at your local part 61 school (or even use a good freelance instructor at the FBO). This keeps you out of debt, but would require some dedication. Hopefully you don't have a girlfriend, wife, or kids. Flying 2-3 times per week should keep you from regressing between lessons. Could you manage Sat & Sun plus one weeknight?

Once you get your instructor tickets, that's probably the time to go full-time.

Weather in certain areas is a huge factor...that might make it worthwhile to pack up and attend a full-time program in a temperate clime...keep in mind that once you get a CFI job if you stay in the northeast your income and time-building will also be limited in the winter.

Cannot over-emphasize this: Stay out of debt. Aviation will not allow you to pay it off until you're years into the career. I know too many FOs who have a miserable existence because of training debt (esp aviation college debt).

2. Is a Part 141 flight school worth the cost, particularly for a commercial and/or instructor rating? I tend to think not, as my instructor under Part 61 is a retired FAA inspector who flies/teaches for the love of it: his knowledge/experience base and attitude are much greater than those of the “I’m just trying to build time” instructors you sometimes get at 141 schools. The thing is, I wonder whether 141 schools would be worth it for the connections you make: I know many of those operations hire their own graduates as instructors, and I wonder if it would appear more “professional” to prospective employers. For what it’s worth, I would probably have to do a multi-engine rating at one of those establishments regardless.
Generally, no. I've trained and taught both 61 and 141. The 141 syllabus is rigid and does not allow for individual learning speed. In your case you couldn't move on to the next thing just because you had mastered what you're currently working on. You get the ratings in less hours (potentially) but 141 usually charges more for the privilege so you end paying the same but walking away with less hours. Of course total time is about the only thing entry level employers care about, so the 61 student is ahead of the game here.

Some students (of the slacker variety) may benefit from a structured program, but you will have no problem accomplishing the necessary self study.

3. Is being a graduate of an AABI-accredited aviation program a very significant advantage for a prospective pilot candidate? Would I, as an engineering graduate, be considered non-committed professionally, assuming I had all the necessary ratings and such? Or would time, etc. be all that really matters?
In seems counter-intuitive to most white-collar professionals, but in aviation where you trained or went school is almost irrelevant unless it was a US military program. Quality flight time is the fastest and only path to success. Also important is who you know, and what leadership jobs you've held (check airman, assistant chief pilot, etc) but you won't even be considered without the requisite flight time.

Nowdays there is a career advantage (very slight) for certain university aviation programs because it allows graduates to get an ATP with 1000 vice 1500 hours but that won't apply to you since you already have a degree. But it's probably not worth the inevitable excess cost when you can make up that 500 hours in 6-8 months as a CFI.

Have you considered Air National Guard or USAF Reserve? That's probably the best path to aviation for a recent college grad assuming you're under age 27 or so).