Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Denny Crane
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Kickin’ Back

Originally Posted by mike734 View Post
I know. Not intuitive but true. Here is the paragraph from the 737 Technical site that explains it.

"A single pack must work harder than two packs to cool the cabin to a given temperature. Hence the APU must supply higher bleed air pressures to assure proper environmental control system operation. This higher pressure requires a greater Inlet Guide Vane (IGV) open position than that required for 2–pack operation. Since there is less airflow required to operate 1–pack than is needed, a significant amount of unused bleed air is exhausted through the Surge Control Valve (SCV). This higher IGV open position and large quantity of unused air translates into higher APU fuel burn and higher EGTs during 1–pack operation. Also, the high airflow levels exhausting through the surge control valve increases the overall APU generated noise by 2dbA. With 2 packs supplying the cabin cooling requirements the pressure requirement is lower, resulting in lower turbine inlet temperatures, EGTs and far less unused air being discharged through the surge valve."
Learn something new everyday. Glad I didn't go with my first thought!

Denny