View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 04:01 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Groundhog
Rick,

I just wanted to clear up a couple of things mentioned in your post.

First, the MAPD program does have a very high success rate. But it’s more in the range of 90% than 80%. The job is not guaranteed, but it is yours to lose. If something is going to trip a candidate up, it’s usually a bad attitude going into the interview, poor preparation, or something in their background that wasn't caught previously. Remember, Larry Risely and Mesa Airlines created the program. Mesa wants to hire the graduates.
Secondly, yes, the program does cost a lot of money. There are a lot of programs out there that cost just as much if not more, but they don't have the placement power that MAPD has. (Besides, if you don't get the job, you don't walk away empty handed. You still have your certificates and ratings. You just have to work on an alternate plan.) On the other hand there are a lot of outstanding flight training schools that cost less. That path usually leads to a flight instructor position. (I’m not down on flight instruction. I took that route, and I think it’s a great way to go.) The decision you have to make is how quickly do you want to get into the cockpit of an airline? Remember, seniority is everything when it comes to airlines.
As far as what happens when Mesa stops hiring, we've already seen what Mesa will do. After 9/11, Mesa continued to interview and hire the graduates. When training classes resumed, the pool of MAPD grads were brought on the property. Some folks sat around for over a year, but they knew they had a job in their back pocket. How well prepared they were to make it through ground school was up to them.
Finally, I wanted to address your comment about how being a 300 hour pilot may haunt you when you apply to other airlines. I wouldn't let that be a part of the decision. MAPD grads are flying at just about any airline you care to mention, both as first officers and as captains. Just like military pilots gripe about civilian pilots, and civilian pilots gripe about military pilots, there will be those who think that unless you paid your dues (however they define it), you're not a worthy pilot. A lot of students that do go through the program have parents who are pilots. Their folks have flown with an MAPD grad and gotten the gouge on the program. (Southwest, JetBlue, United, Northwest, etc.)
This post is not a flame, so hopefully you don't take it that way. I did want to set the record straight.
Hog.
Right on, but as I understand it the 80% number includes people who didn't finish MAPD. The 90% is MAPD grads who actually get hired. Correct me if you know different.

I think MAPD can definately be an advantage. It's something that I probably would have done if I were in that position, BUT if it doesn't work out for you, you're doing the CFI thing anyway. It's a calculated risk, I just want folks to be informed. I'm a calculated risk taker, others may not be so tolerant.

There's certainly lots of MAPD folks at majors, but my military buddies tell me that there are folks out there who don't like the whole concept. If one of those does your interview or sits on your hiring board it might be a problem if you don't have a CFI or military training. Just a public service announcement.