View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Bozo the pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by ilsbird View Post
Greetings to my friends,

I am currently in a regional airline and have been in the regional flying industry for about 2 yrs now so I am still fairly new compared to all of you who are in the main lines and legacy carriers. Id like to get some advice on my career progression and I hope it will help me make a decision. Eventually I will like to go and fly and retire from a legacy/mainline carrier and that is my final career goal as flying is what I love and I cant see myself in any other profession besides it. As you know with the new FAR 117 and the pilot shortage is hurting alot of regional airlines. In all of your experiences and going forward in this industry, do you think it will be good to have RIGHT SEAT Jet Time since most jet regionals upgrade time is about 4-5 yrs or it would be a better option to go to a prop airline and upgrade there in less than 2 yrs max and build the 121 Turbine PIC time. I have these options right now and since I would like to join a major carrier, I have been hearing many different views on going for a jet regional for glass time compared to going to a Prop regional for the PIC time. In your experiences besides extra skills and personality type as far as the flying background, in the future do any of you see mainlines or majors hiring right seat time guys only with High TT or still Turbine PIC would have an edge?
Go for the glass jet. No guarantee on upgrade times on the tprop anyway. Plenty of guys gettn hired with sic jet. Good luck with it all.