Thread: CR Smith Museum
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 12:03 PM
JumpersAway79
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2012

Originally Posted by YAKflyer View Post
I am familiar with both airplanes and would disagree mildly with how both have been described in this thread. Delta Ship 41 certainly went through an unbelievable restoration process, but to say that most of what survived of the original was the data plate is an extreme exaggeration. You are correct about Ship 41 being a Caribbean freight dog, but most of the labor to restore Ship 41 was volunteer.

The DC-3 in the CR Smith museum is the Flagship Knoxville. The airplane is not restored to the degree of Ship 41, but it is not rundown by any means. Flagship Knoxville was the 49th DC-3 AA took delivery of, so it was in the middle of the order with AA taking 94.

I have the privilege of being one of the crew members of the Flagship Detroit which is the oldest flying DC-3. It was delivered to AA on March 2, 1937. We take FSD to air shows year round so check our website and we may end up someplace where you can see her. Since you say you would volunteer to work on Flagship Knoxville, we can give you that opportunity on the Detroit.

Welcome to Flagship Detroit WebQuarters !
Awesome! Thank you, kindly, for the information. I've seen Ship 41 at the DAL museum (went over there to see it when I was at ASA), but I have yet to see Flagship Knoxville.

I saw Flagship Detroit while it was at KFFC. I believe it was having a jug replaced on it, as it had a an exhaust issue that stranded it there. Beautiful aircraft though- very nicely done!