Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 AM
Charlie Buster
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2013

Originally Posted by TunaUSMC View Post
Need opinions… Retiring military. Want nothing more than to be a pilot with a major. Done flying at the end of Feb. If a major doesn't call, need to find a job to stay current…
Option 1: Regional (focus would be on flying a jet and quality of life).
Option 2: Contract pilot (overseas every few months to fly turboprops).
What would you do?
TT 2000 (all turbine / 750 fighter time)
PIC 1300
MEL 1800
Tuna, congrats and thanks for your service. I suspect many will follow you out the door, especially with dwindling flight times and a significant increase in PC-driven good deals like SAPR training... Speaking of dwindling hours, retiring with only 750 in the Hornet? A friend of mine in Miramar did the King Air in country gig - very good pay and he enjoyed the time with family b/t trips (and an easy transition if you already have the type rating or one similar). I was networking that option before getting a phone call (now waiting on a class date). No offense intended, but Regional was going too far backwards in pay and QOL after 20+ in the mil (i.e. new guy there and then new guy all over again at the intended end state, the major). FWIW, you may want to consider starting a thread in the military section, bet you'd get more visibility and feedback there. Good luck - network, network, network and sign up for Emerald Coast.