Thread: Mesa
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 12:15 PM
flapshalfspeed
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2010

Originally Posted by CBreezy View Post
Easy there Bruce Banner. If you want to argue, perhaps you should argue with Part 117. You know, if you'd read it:

117.21(b): "Any reserve that meets the definition of airport/standby reserve must be designated as airport/standby reserve. For airport/standby reserve, all time spent in a reserve status is part of the flightcrew member's flight duty period."

I don't see after anywhere in there either.
I've read all of it numerous times, thanks.

So you're trying to argue that while I'm out flying airplanes, I am in a reserve status designated as "airport/standby reserve" by the company.

That is not the case--I cannot possibly be in a reserve status designated as "airport/standby" reserve by the company while I'm out flying, b/c I am neither in an airport nor standing by on reserve--I am flying an aeroplane in the sky--I am still in the same FDP that started with a segment of airport/standby reserve, but now that I am flying, once I've completed my last segment I am pumpkins when the brake is set with no intention of further aircraft movement (unless more flight segments have been added to my schedule prior to brake set).

Even if your argument were correct, from the pairings I've seen from Mesa, they are not designating reserves as "airport/standby" reserve the minute they block-in--they are putting in a "ground time" block of 30 minutes or so in between the last flight segment and a block of airport/standby reserve.

"ground time" is not "airport/standby reserve."

And "airport/standby reserve" is only considered part of the same FDP when it occurs BEFORE or BETWEEN flight segments. Not AFTER. If it occurs AFTER a flight segment blocks in, and 30+ minutes of "ground time" (not designated as aiport reserve) a further airport/standby reserve block on your schedule is a second FDP, and you're starting it without legal rest IMMEDIATELY prior to beginning it, as required by 117.

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand--it's not that complicated. Am I the only one on here who has both read the regs and also sees this? Anyone?