View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 09:25 AM
RedeyeAV8r
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by socal163
I'm at a regional now, but have a question regarding background checks at major airlines, wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this...

About ten years ago I was assaulted by a drunk on the street, long-story- short he jumped me from behind and he ended up on the ground with broken bones. Cops came, and I didn't want to press any charges, so that was it for a year. 364 days later, the guy sues me. By the time I found out about it, it was too late to push for any criminal charges against this clown (1 year statute of lims). Anyway my insurance company made the guy go away, but the record of the lawsuit is still in the county system. The write up from the other guys lawyer is pure fiction, but of course he claims that I was the instigator, and he was an innocent victim, etc, etc. If you just read the depositions, it's his word vs. mine.

I'm squeeky clean, reserve officer with security clearance, no criminal record of course. Is this something that a major is likely to look for and find on a background check, and how would they handle it? Is this something I should bring up at an interview and try to pre-empt? Any input appreciated...

I am not a Lawyer.............................but here goes.

Most applications have some type of questions about "Do you have any prior arrests? or "Have you ever been convicted of a Felony?" or blah blah....

Where you arrested? (other than a traffic violation non alcohol related)
Where you convicted?
Do you have a Criminal record?

If the answer is NO than IMHO opionon you have notheing to worry about.

If you can't answer No (or are not really sure) It might behoove you to hire a PI and do a background Investigation on yourself.......................
See what he/she can pull up...........................

If you find a questionable past you'll need to be upfront in an interview.
Many potential employers can overlook past indiscreations but will not tolerate a Liar. Always be honest in an interview...........but you don't always have to offer TOO much personal info unless asked.

Just my non lawyer opinion