View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 08:55 PM
TheWeatherman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by Aviator89 View Post
Potentially 2 years. It can be done faster. 250 TT (brand new commercial) could theoreticaly take as little as 32 or so days (8 hours a day) but thats not realistic at all. However, six months would be an average of 1.3 hours a day. Schedule two lessons a day 5-6 days a week. say 8-10am and 1-3pm with ground lessons 10-1. Plus all the home study you could do, and its possible. Heck at that rate you could jsut do all the writtens first, then start flying. But the weather is the problem, and instructor scheduling. With weather id say plan on 1/4-1/2 of you scheduled lessons to be cancelled. Like iv said before, if you want to really get this done quick, take advantage of those nice weather days. Most new CFI's who arent booked full with clients dont mind you calling the day of and asking if they can fly a boatload that day. But better to schedule it out in advance and hope for the best weather. The other issue is getting an examiner. in MSN you sometimes had to wait a week or two for an available examiner, or fly up to the wausau area and take you ride with the guy up there. Could also find some in MKE im sure.

I got a response to the Email I sent to Wis Avn. It seems like they can accommodate all my requests (Accelerated training, using the GI Bill, doing it at Watertown, etc.). I also realize that the training will slow down dramatically over the winter, but I can deal with that.

My only worry now is what do I do afterwards. Where do I work as an instructor. From reading these forums, it seems like to get an instructor gig at a school that has a lot of students (i.e. the pilot mills with a lot of Chinese students) you have had to be a student there first. So I am debating whether to go to one of those pilot mills instead like Aeroism .