Thread: Cape Air
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 04:28 PM
9kBud
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: yes

Originally Posted by outaluckagain View Post
I was out of flying as a full time pilot for a while so I wanted to spend some time as an FO at Cape. This would be a move on my part top get my skills back up to speed before upgrading to Captain. I am not one to think that just having ATP mins is enough to qualify me to start as a Captain. I got all of my experience as a CFI flying the pattern, if you get my drift. The time as an FO would be valuable.

The pay would not be an issue since the time spent as an FO would only be a couple months at most.

Anyway, I don't think I would want to get in a C402 and fly as Captain right off the bat like that.

You seem fairly certain that having ATP mins would cut it to start as a Captain at Cape. Have many pilots done this? Might these actually be people who have previous 135 time at a company like Air Net?
Most pilots that have the time upgrade right away. Given your circumstances of just getting back into things, your concern is valid. It's a tough job when you have recency, and for those who don't, the training outcome is often times bleak. If this is a legitimate concern for you, then you have to talk to the recruiter / training. We are having a tough time getting qualified pilots, so it may be in their best interest to let you fly right seat for a bit rather than turn you away altogether. The ball may just be in your court right now since we are having the same staffing issues as pretty much every other regional out there.