View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

I just had a friend ask for an LOR. I replied back that in the last 9 days I had flown two day trips, knocked out 2 online seminars, a three day recurrent training set including 2 sims, a seminar in the midwest and another in Germany AFTER an international trip..... Haven't seen the family yet. (Not looking for pity...nice long Dec and early Jan vacation....) Now I am trying to squeeze in some skiing in the Alps for a couple days before going home in time for a daughter's cheerleader competition.

So---sure...I'll get right on that.

Average widebody captain pulls 200-300 bucks an hour, and a reasonably senior FO at a legacy probably 150-175. To earn that pay, they gotta work long days, drag bags, and cross a lot of time zones. And they miss a lot of time with family in the process.... Ask yourself--if YOU were paying for the service, how much work would you want to pay for? 2-3 hours, or 15 minutes? Help your sponsor out by not burning his valuable time.

If you are at work at your desk, or deployed in the hooch, send your sponsor a *&)& draft. They can tweak it and sign it. If you ask them to build you something from the ground up, it may be a while. It ain't that they don't love you, but folks--its busy out here. Spend an hour less planning the next commander's Christmas party and draft yourself some letters...

Last edited by Albief15; 01-26-2014 at 11:50 AM.