View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 08:01 AM
FLY6584
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: 737 right

Originally Posted by KC10 FATboy View Post
Your flying time is low; however, as a FAIP you should have a lot of Instructor time which is a bonus .. UNLESS it is in the T-6 which isn't as desirable. Airlines much prefer multi-engine over single-engine.

Can you get a reserve job at the training command? Continuing to build PIC time / instructor time would be very beneficial.

Stupid question ... what is the timing of the VSP and the potential RIF? Let's assume you stay, how long do you think it would be before you were RIFd? When I went through the VSP fiasco, the VSPers had well up to a year to stay after their VSP award. The RIF never came for my year group. So potentially, you could have a full year or more before you were let go. Depending on what you're flying, a year or two more experience is valuable in your case.

I hope my random thoughts help. I made the jump back in '07 and I haven't looked back. It was scary. But, I didn't have a family to take care of. Good luck.
I was under the impression based off a thread I started awhile back and threads I have read on here that Turbine PIC is Turbine PIC and not to worry about Single vs Multi. It seemed as though Fedex was one of the only ones that distinguished between single and multi. I remember a ton of T-6 guys chiming in saying their time was rock solid for the airlines.

But you bring up a very good point. The RIF will buy me another 4 months on AD which equals more hours, more benefits, less separation pay, but more checks on the 1st and 15th and more time to work things out.