View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Irishish
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by ForeverFO View Post
I understnad, and thanks. We know a person's 4-part bid status (base, equipment, etc) can cause QOL to vary wildly from place to place.

I have a friend who has been a DFW 777 CA for about 10 years, all of it on reserve. He's my buddy, but sometimes I want to clock him when he says "I've consistently flown 300 hours a year this last decade." That translates into about 1.5 three-day trips a month. 4 or 5 days of work. For 72 hours pay.

And then there was me as a S-80 RSV FO, pushing monthly max every month by the 20th.

Right now, I'm in the top 25% of DFW 777 reserves. The flying is seasonal, and with Spring and Summer coming up, I'll fly more, but I'm still averaging 2 trips a month. I can't complain at all... it's a sweet gig.

Can you explain how this happens? Is that 18 days WITHIN the month, or like from the 20th to the 8th of the next month?

I need to look at the MIA bid sheets. The worst DFW 777 reserve bid line might have a block of 8 or 9 days ON, but never more.
This is absolutely crazy. Hopefully, we end up with a reserve system like the current US system, you will like it a lot. Max of 6 days on in a row. Never extended into a day off. Short calls hardly ever work (~30hrs/month), long calls a little more. One of the best parts is you can watch the reserve situation in real time and get a pretty good idea if you are going to be called or not.