Thread: Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 04:31 PM
JetJock16
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: SkyWest Capt.
Default Desperation is starting to set in!

Pan Am International Flight Academy in PHX is now offering for all those willing to sign a one year contract, their CFI for free and both your CFII/ MEI at half price. Not bad when you think about how much it cost just to gain those ratings that you're likely never to use after your first 121 job. It cost about $10-$14K for your CFI, II and MEI; if you sign on for 1 year you can basically get all three for less than $3K and with all that time building you can chose the regional of your choice. When I was instructing there I was flying over 100 hours a month and teaching around 40 in their ACE program (72 hr CRJ-200 basic systems and 30 hr level 5 FTD program).

Now they have a King Air program that I'm sure one could work their way into. The King Air program is 40 hrs of ground, 10 hours Level D Sim and 10 hours in the a/c. This program is for their Chinese students, which they are pushing about 400 through a year. If you think each student has to complete this program, then an instructor could gain quite a bit of Turbine PIC time.

http://www.panamacademy.net/