Thread: Silver Airways
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 11:47 AM
CrakPipeOvrheat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010

Originally Posted by tom11011 View Post
Here is the problem.

I don't know what this LOA says, but it would seem it can only be designed to poach pilots from other airlines. Maybe or maybe not it is a good enough deal to accomplish that goal.

But it doesn't solve the problem of the lack of talent in the pipeline. There is nobody in the pipeline. The best deal in the world doesn't solve the pipeline problem. In order to solve the pipeline problem, starting salaries need to be about $50,000/yr across all regional airlines. That will get pilots into the pipeline, but even then, you are 3 years out from seeing the benefits.

I'm afraid all that can really happen to solve the immediate problem is this. Small carriers like Silver and GLA must go out of business, the pilots get absorbed into larger players, and the aircraft currently being flown by said carriers get parked in the desert.

There is no immediate solution, I can't see this unfolding any other way. I can't see how airline management or the industry as a whole doesn't see this, if they don't, its incompetence. You can't wish something into existence.

This is the 'leading edge' of the issue, its just getting started.
If this country paid extremely well at both the major and regional level pilots wold return from foreign jobs and the ones who left the business would return. If this still doesn't solve the problem then the US could allow hiring of foreign pilots. If the US becomes the best place to work for a pilot, then they will never have a pilot shortage problem. Just like Delta, American, and United will never have a problem filling classes. The problem will be that of the cheapo foreign carriers like Lion Air. Unfortunately, there are a lot of airlines here in the US with a Lion Air mentality. Guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.