Thread: 135 -->121
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 07:32 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by wingedmunkie View Post
To this point in my career I have been a 135 guy. I love what I do but with 30+ years left until retirement I've started to wonder if I'm not better off making the jump to the 121 world. At this point, the question to me is "how do I get there?"
Right now...

Multiple LORs, 1000+ TPIC jet/glass, 135 check airman/CP experience....or very well connected.

A few years from now maybe just 1000TPIC, although I think jet may also be required for certain airlines since there are so many RJ's out there.

Are the legacy 121 carriers taking guys with a 135 background (all light jet) at this point or is all the hiring from the military and lower tier 121 operations still?
Seems like military and 121 for the most part at this time. They are still working through a backlog of highly qualified military and regional IPs, check-airmen, etc.

What about the non-legacy carriers? Is it possible to get into 121 without having to go through the regionals?
Right now much better odds at the national, non-legacy carriers but many prefer/require jet time. I would think you could get on somewhere if you're within their competitive ballpark.