View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 AM
ATCsaidDoWhat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: What day is it?

Originally Posted by KYTBRD View Post
WRT the discussion of "to autopilot" or "not to autopilot", there is a time a place for both. Each has its merits. Knowing when to use each is not so easy when egos get involved. We all lean towards what we know and do best. Coming from a mil background, I love to hand fly the jet. In the sim my instructor told me to turn off the autopilot and hand fly the next approach, my partner laughed and said "he's been hand flying the whole time". It wasn't showing off or ego, it's just what I felt most comfortable doing. For the next 2 sims the instructor made me use the AP from 250ft until just prior to landing. This was because this is how the 747 is flown the majority of the time. I feel keeping my hand flying skills sharp is important so I can if/when they will be needed. Having said that, I had a great 2 day trip to South America (quito included) with a captain who took a great deal of pride in his ability to do both. Once we started talking, he taught me tons of information about the FMS and VNAV vs the MCP and speed restrictions, etc that I hadn't realized existed. In some instances, it was information I knew, but taught with greater application and understanding. The mysterious black hole know as FMS/VNAV is my weakest system on the plane. But understanding it better now and knowing what its thinking will make me a better crew member. I've now started paying more attention to what the LEGS page and VNAV pages actually mean. Why a CI point exists, the difference between a LEGS pg speed and a VNAV speed restriction. 2 days later I ended up on another South America trip with a different captain to Quito. This time I was ready to program the FMS correctly and able to explain to him why I did what I did. On the departure I used the fix page to ensure we were above certain altitude restrictions - we weren't. I explained it to him and we used a higher TO thrust setting. Now this may have been obvious to others but to me it wasn't - until someone taught me to be more comfortable with the FMS.

On the flip side I had a captain tell me he wasn't paid to teach and went back to reading his magazine. I thought he was joking - he wasn't. Experience over the years of instructing and evaluating I've noticed that those captains who are more secure in their own abilities and knowledge of flying will produce better FOs. This is because they know the limits of the aircraft and have taught themselves how to not get in bad situations. They have also taken the time to learn the entire system, not just what they're most comfortable with. Conversely, those who aren't confident in their own skills and abilities tend to be more authoritarian, less trusting, and demanding of fellow crew members. Covering their own deficiencies through the use of mandatory techniques (which may or may not be in line with the FCOM and other regulations), configuring for you when not asked, changing the FMS pages without telling you, or engaging various flight modes "for you" on the MCP. Often not realizing there's more than 1 way to arrive at the same point in space. That's not to say that FOs don't need help, but discussing a descent and what VNAV path means is far different than taking charge at the last second and making him feel stupid.

Don't be afraid of the FO hand flying if it's the appropriate time. The individual is probably just trying to learn. But when it's time to turn on and use the AP to its fullest capability then make sure that FO also knows how to program the FMS and interpret what it's telling you as a pilot. Both skills - hand flying and Autopilot usage - are equally important in todays environment.
What the man said. Sorry you had to deal with the "magazine reader." There's always one in the crowd, it seems...