View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 05:19 AM
Timbo
Runs with scissors

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Going to hell in a bucket, but enjoying the ride .

I live in Florida, home of some of the oldest and worst drivers on the planet. I fully agree with you on the DL requirements.

On the recurrent training for GA types, I was speaking of the guys I fly with at the airlines in my comments above, not the GA types, but since you brought it up; it wouldn't have to be 'a bunch of hoops' to jump through.

It could be as simple as taking an online refresher course covering weather, stalls, ATC procedures, etc. and then a test, correctable to 100%. Then add a few things to the BFR. Not a bunch of hoops. And we could all benefit.

There is very little oversight in the GA world. You can pretty much get in your private airplane and go do what ever you want, and if you live to tell, then I guess you are 'safe', right?

A BFR that was ridiculously easy is not going to improve your flying skills. You need to be challenged if you want to get better. Good on you for the spin training, have you got any tail wheel time yet? Any short field, soft field type stuff? When your motor quits, that's where you're probably going to land, if you're lucky, so you might want to get comfortable with that.

Most GA accidents are caused by VFR pilots flying into IFR weather. I call it the John-John Kennedy syndrome. Have you got your instrument ticket yet? Do you keep proficient by flying under the hood every time you go flying with an observer? Or at least do some practice ILS's before you put it away for the day? Do you fly much at night, just for practice? Do you do any partial panel work? Cover up the airspeed and altimeter and go fly a few patterns at night.

Last edited by Timbo; 02-15-2014 at 05:29 AM.