Thread: Compass updates
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 PM
CBreezy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by DashTrash View Post
Yes, if anyone has received a job offer without an unrestricted ATP (or meet the requirements for said certificate) that was issued under 61.153 and 61.159 be very careful. The part of the regs. that deals with a restricted ATP (61.160), has limitations listed in 61.167 that prevents a Captain type rating from being issued.
I disagree. First, there is no such thing as a "Captain type-rating." There is a Type rating (aka PIC type rating) and a SIC Type. When you take your checkride for your restricted-ATP/type, it will be the same checkride as someone who is taking an unrestricted ATP/type ride.

61.167 says nothing about ISSUING a type rating. It just says that you may not "act as pilot in command" under part 121. Once you meet the aeronautical or age requirement, you only have to provide proof to the FAA that you now have the minimums for an unrestricted certificate (through a 8710) and your restriction is removed without any further action.

Now it just comes down to the language in your contract which I highly doubt says "captain type rating." When I was talking to recruiters, they specifically said they have to issue a PIC type rating which you can do with an r-ATP. Technically, by your logic, the only people who qualify to be an FO at Compass are those with Part121 or 135 time because you can't be qualified as a Captain at any 121 operation unless you have 1000 SIC.