View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 09:20 AM
ShyGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by gloopy View Post
I still haven't heard any confirmed cases of non degree pilots, other than a handful of inherited flows but that's a separate issue.

FWIW, I think the only advantage to requiring a degree is it raises the barrier to entry and reduces the supply. No one becomes a better pilot by partying hardy in the quad and pretending to be worldly reading Chaucer and taking a trig exam hungover. I'll take a self made hard worker with real world experience any day over an under educated, over schooled 26 year old "child" still on mommy and daddy's insurance that doesn't know a thing about the real world. Paying 6 figures for a reading list of free material is a major judgement fail and indictment of character IMHO. That said, I'm in favor of keeping the requirement because it reduces the supply.

But we pilots don't own that element. Management will change it at their leisure and I predict they will.

That said, I despise the concept of a vault letter regardless of what it contains.
That's true, but not all degrees are cake walk party n drink types. No engineer I knew ever partied that hard, not ones that actually graduated in 4 years any way.